Coaching Excellence Beyond the Game
Coach Reed has been coaching excellence beyond the game for 26 years and has become an internationally respected expert on youth sports. Since the release of his TEDx Talk in September of 2015 he has appeared on nearly two dozen podcasts and radio shows with a combined audience reach of over 5 million people in 121 countries. He has also authored articles and presented webinars on communication, culture, bullying, competitive mindset, skill acquisition and much more for various magazines and ezines including Soccernation.com, Soccerparenting.com, Player Development Project, FlipGive, Smedley’s Soccer, Soccer Mastery, NSCAA, and Amplified Soccer. The reach of his writing extends across multiple continents.
What to Expect
I am a storyteller first, and a scientist second when it comes to delivering talks and workshops. I will draw from my playing and coaching experience, which in total is almost 4 decades of experience, as well as from my research in both Master’s degrees to develop relevant talks, with real world examples, and immediately applicable lessons and tips for parents, players, and coaches.
When I speak you can expect the following:
- High Energy = I present like I coach. I come well prepared and bring all my energy to the stage. I always say “If you aren’t doing it for the love, why do it”. I know people feed off our energy, and I want only the highest energy emanating from the stage.
- Demand for Excellence = I always demand excellence from my players.
We get out of training and playing what we are willing to put into it, and my talks reflect that sentiment. A perfectionist that demands excellence leaves his “players” wanting only the best they can do too.
- Engaging / Inspiring Action = My talks have humor, action-packed stories, and easy to implement calls to action that push participants to “cherish the challenge” and get better every day.
- Process leads Results = As in soccer so in the presentation hall, I focus instilling a training process that continues when you leave the room. I want my talks to resonate with participants long after the lights go down on the stage.
- Personal / Vulnerable = Being personal and vulnerable are who I am. It is how I connect deeply with my players. I’ve had 36 years of mistakes, lessons, and epic moments to draw upon for my talks. I love sharing my experiences so others can learn from them.
- Takeaways = To help ensure the results resonate long after my talks, I provide my clients with web access copies of the talk notes and slides, resources for review, and possible follow-up webinars. Creating excellence beyond the game is a process. I am there for the entire marathon.
- Partnership = We are partners in fighting the good fight. I want to see you succeed, and therefore I will consult with you prior to my presentation in order to tailor it exactly to your organization’s needs. In addition to partnering on content, if you seek exposure for your event or organization, I will be your media partner as I share my experience with my audience. My weekly impression reach on social media is roughly 500k. We will partner to drive traffic to your event.
Let’s Start the Conversation
When he is not manning his daily duties for STAR and reBoot, he is a speaker for Changing the Game Project – which is focused on returning youth sports to the children and providing the most influential adults in their lives, parents and coaches, with the information and resources needed to make sports a positive, healthy, and rewarding experience.
Coach Reed also trains parents, coaches and youth sports leaders on creating unrivaled team and club cultures, developing high-performance communication protocols, and managing a process-based competitive environment through his own Youth Sports Training Center – Beyond the Game.
A former elite level athlete himself, Coach Reed has been coaching for 26 years at all levels of the game including college and professional. He has two Master’s Degrees – one in Sport Behavior & Performance and one in Early Childhood Education. His experience and educational background in addition to his 2015 TEDx Talk (Echoes Beyond the Game) have made him an internationally-known expert in the youth sports field.
He has been a guest on dozens of radio shows and podcasts including Sirius XM FC and ESPN Radio to discuss the hot button issues in youth sports today. Coach Reed also writes and presents online training/webinars for Amplified Soccer Magazine, SoccerNation.com,SoccerParenting.com, The Player Development Project, and The National Soccer Coaches Association of America among others.
Clients / Partners
I was once told “Know it. Apply it. Teach it. In that order.” Those prophetic words shaped my approach to coaching and leading others. Before I ever set foot on a field, in a classroom, or on a stage, I endeavor to always know all I can about my topic. In addition, when I work with your group, I draw on the 26 years of coaching experience, having applied the very science and research that shaped my knowledge in real world scenarios.
What does this mean for your organization? All my speaking and training workshops are based on the countless hours spent in labs and classrooms acquiring deep knowledge about the science behind coaching, communication, learning, and more, and countless more spent on the fields of play proving the validity of my research. What I teach is the culmination of 3 decades of learning and applying. It is part science, part art, and all effective in helping your organization develop communication, culture, and competitive atmospheres that will drive excellence Beyond the Game.
My academic background includes:
Davidson College – BA in Psychology with a thematic focus, symposia, and Thesis on Teamwork Dynamics. How high-stress, high-performance teams effectively function.
Miami University – MS in Sport Behavior and Performance. Course work on biomechanics, exercise physiology, sport science, mental training, sport psychology, fundamentals of youth in sport, and thesis work on imagery and coaching efficacy.
College of Mount St. Joseph – MA Early Childhood Education. Course work included child development, learning principles, and educational psychology,and thesis work on the effects of praise on children.
I bring a unique combination rigorous educational, physiological, and psychological research to a 26 year coaching career that are the backdrop for how I work with organizations. I knew it and applied it well before I come to your community to teach it.
Most Requested Topics
- Building an Unrivaled Club Culture
- The Art of High-Performance Communication
- How To Be Your Child’s Biggest Fan
- “Win at All Costs” vs. “Compete At All Times”
- The Unbreakable Athlete: The Right Mindset
- The Unbeatable Coach: A New Coaching Model
- Surviving the Season: Coaches and Parents Guide
- The Undeniable Power of Story in Leadership
Anson Dorrance says that achieving excellence is “Living on a never-ending ascension”. You don’t reach the pinnacle standing at the bottom looking up, but by putting one step in front of the other and daring to make that ascension.
Dare to take the step and contact me. Let’s Go Beyond the Game.
Let’s Start the Conversation